Author Topic: Honey  (Read 3362 times)

joseph

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
Honey
« on: 2015-July-27 04:24:49 PM »
My daddy's honey is collected in Paradise, Utah. It is primarily alfalfa/clover honey. The taste is very mild. Pricing is $10 per pint bottle, and is only sold in pints. There are no volume discounts.

5 gallon buckets are also available. It is honey from my brother who has many hives scattered across several western states. Therefore it's not the hyper-local honey that my daddy brings to market. It comes primarily from alfalfa and dutch white clover.  Pricing is great at $250 per bucket. Cash Only.

Occasionally, my brother shares some 'Kolob Mountain' honey with me. It is harvested from the desert near Saint George. It is very dark, and filled with fragrance and robust taste. Some people find it disgusting. Others find it to be the most delightful honey ever. I think it's glorious. I'll post on this thread if any becomes available to me. 

keen101

• Global Moderator
  • Loveland, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Honey
« Reply #1 on: 2016-September-22 09:39:33 PM »
mmm. sounds good. If i remember correctly the clover honey is generally the lightest color honey you find (other than super processed honey). They've done some studies and often the light clear "honey" that comes from china often is not even honey at all but pure adulterated high fructose corn syrup. Generally the local Colorado honey that we've bought before is the really dark stuff. That stuff is good.

I'd love to see more posts and photos of your family's Bee Keeping adventures. I find that trade fascinating. Would love to know more and hear a farmers narration and perspective and down to earth vibe.
My blog: keen101.wordpress.com

joseph

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
Re: Honey
« Reply #2 on: 2016-September-22 10:19:24 PM »

Here we are just before we robbed the honey a few weeks ago. Pants tucked inside boots, to avoid bees crawling up pant-legs.

The year previously, on a "check-only" day,  I thought that I'd get by with the wrong pair of boots. Bad choice. They stung my ankles like crazy!!!! Good thing that I had taken an anti-histamine prior to entering the bee yard. That year, we had some really pissy bees. The queens or the queen's mother's in two colonies may  have got impregnated by some africanized drones.

We use a leaf-blower to remove the bees from the honey boxes.

The bees march right back into the colony:

In the spring of 2016, all 30 colonies were dead. So we replaced them with packaged bees. At $100 per colony, the bees in the bed of the truck I went to pick them up in were worth more than the truck.